Summer is incomplete without a chilled glass of delicious Buttermilk aka Masala Chaas. There are so many variations of this simple cooler and you can’t get enough of this throughout the summers. Every family has their own special (and favorite) Masala Chaas recipe and so is mine. Making a glass of buttermilk rekindles childhood memories every time. And now time had completed a full circle. After school routine at home was gulping down my mum’s special Chaas and she never failed to add her touch of love by making so many varieties. I thoroughly enjoyed it! And now when my son comes back from his school is when I serve him buttermilk during summers.
A classic Indian beverage with so many good properties that you need to include in your diet plan – aids good digestion, good for gut, body cooler and packed with flavor. Make your glass now!
INGREDIENTS: (For 3 – 4 people)
- 1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 – 2 cup chilled water
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder/ jeera powder
- 8 – 9 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillis, split lengthwise
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp cooking oil
- 8 – 9 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- salt for taste
- In a blender put yogurt, chilled water, roasted cumin powder, salt and half of the ice cubes and blend it until it becomes slightly frothy.
- Heat a tadka pan. Put oil, mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add curry leaves, grated ginger and green chilli and saute for 10 seconds.
- Put this tadka in the yogurt and water mix and stir it.
- Now take serving glasses and divide the rwmaining ice cubes evenly between them. Equally divide the chaas amongst the serving glasses.
- Generously garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy!