Ho ho ho! Christmas is finally here and the cookie platter is only complete when you have these delicious Gingerbread Man adorning them. Gingerbread is truly the aroma of the day. These classic cookies fill your house with the aroma of these wonderfully warm spices. The scent of the spice blend of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves entices you to eat these beautiful cookies. These beautiful souls can completely fill your Christmas day much needed love and happiness.
Super fun to make with kids, delicious to eat and definitely a family favorite for the festive season. Yes, if you have very little time to make cute little fancy things for Christmas, here is your answer to all your worries. Bake a colony of these Gingerbread Man because you won’t realize how fast they run (out of stock)! Hope you have a lovely Christmas!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 30 cookies)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour + extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 100 grams granulated brown sugar (you can use granulated white sugar)
- 115 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup molasses (or you can use honey)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1/4 nutmeg powder
- 1/4 star anise powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 100 grams dark chocolate, melted
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl using a beater until pale and smooth. this would take around 90 seconds.
- Add molasses and egg and beat it until well combined.
- In a bowl sift all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, ginger powdr, cinnamon powder, clove powder, nutmeg powder, baking soda, star anise powder, baking powder, salt and whisk it well.
- Add the flour mixture slowly to the wet mixture and beat it until just combined. Do not over beat it.
- Transfer the dough to a slightly floured surface. Divide it into two halves. Roll it out in the shape of a disc, cling wrap it and refrigerate it for a couple of hours.
- Meanwhile preheat your oven to 180 C for 15 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Now take the dough of the fridge. Roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Cut it into different shapes using a cookie cutter and transfer it to a baking sheet.
- Put it in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking so that the cookies retains it shape.
- Now allow the cookie to bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Once done, take it out and allow the cookie to cool down completely. Dip half or whole cookies into melted dark chocolate and freeze for sometime and bite into these cookies.