Simple ingredients, quick recipe and an addictive cake – this Spiced Semolina Cake with Orange Drizzle is juts about that. Its getting quite cold back in Bangalore and all I am craving for is nuts and spices for the extra warmth. And then its December where I don’t need any additional excuse to make homemade cakes. My kitchen smells amazing – some nuts and fruits soaking in booze at one end, cookies baking in the oven, fruits being converted into jam on the stove top, cake cooling down and cream getting whipped up elsewhere. Amidst all this its me – an excited soul who is loving every bit of this scene in my kitchen.
Suddenly my mum calls and tells me she made this amazing semolina cake loaded with nuts. Ah! My to do baking list just increased slightly and I set to make this cake since I had everything stocked up at home. The crumbly cake loaded with the goodness from different seeds is a perfect accompaniment during tea time. Garnished with toasted nuts and a tangy orange drizzle, I have got my go to recipe whenever I want to bake something quickly. Delicious, moist and super easy. Try it now!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes a 8 inch cake)
- 1 1/4 cup semolina
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature + extra for preparing the baking tin
- 1 cup light brown sugar (you can use granulated white sugar too)
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp mixed seeds (I used pumpkin, melon, flax seeds and chia seeds)
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 2 tbsp unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- few strands of saffron
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 200 C for atleast 10 minutes. Spread the blanched almonds on the baking tray and allow it to toast for 8 – 10 minutes or until just slightly brown.
- Once done, take it out of the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Again Preheat your oven to 180 C for atleast 15 minutes.
- Take 2 tbsp of milk and soak the saffron strands in it for sometime.
- Meanwhile take the cake mould, slightly butter and flour it and keep it aside.
- Now in a bowl whisk melted butter and brown sugar until a smooth mixture is formed. To this add semolina, whole wheat flour, salt, , orange zest, cardamom powder, mixed seeds, saffron soaked milk, curd and milk and fold in gently until well combined.
- Allow this mixture to rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Lastly add baking powder and baking soda and fold the mix gently until just combined.
- Transfer the mixture to cake mould and allow it to bake for 30 – 35 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Take it out of the oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- In a bowl take fresh orange juice and add icing sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Take the cake, generously drizzle the orange juice mixture. Garnish with toasted almonds, pistachios and dig in.