The season of festivity is over and its time to get back to the grind – eating clean, eating fresh and enjoying the best winter produce in your town. And thats why I say The New Year Salad Magic is here! I remember a few years back I always made resolutions of quitting sugar, eating healthy, eating more salads with the start of the new year. Obviously these resolutions worked for a few weeks and then I went back to the old way of living – cheating, cheating and more cheating! However having made no resolutions of quitting anything in the recent times, I feel I have started eating healthier and tastier food. This Baby Spinach, Apple and Nuts Salad is just a testimony to that.
Lush green and absolutely delicious, this salad makes you fall in love with it. The beautiful blend of flavors – earthy, fresh, nutty, zingy and sweet is what makes this salad complete. The lovely earthy essence of the baby spinach leaves, the tart granny smith apples, the spiced nuts and seeds, the sweet cranberries and the creamy goats cheese, all blend in wonderfully to boast of this cozy and comforting salad. Whisk together a basic homemade dressing and you are done.
So get back to the kitchen, toss up some deliciousness for your family because this salad definitely screams winter yumness to me!
INGREDIENTS: (for 2 – 3 people)
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 1/2 medium sized granny smith apple, sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 12 – 15 walnuts, broken into 2 pieces each
- 2 tbsp goat cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 tbsp melon seeds
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (you can use 1/2 tbsp lemon juice if you like less tangy)
- 5 – 6 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- pinch of dried garlic powder (you can used 1 – 2 cloves of crushed garlic)
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl whisk 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and lemon until well incorporated. Add chopped basil leaves, garlic powder, salt and black pepper and whisk it and keep aside (preferably in the fridge until ready to use).
- Put a saucepan on low – medium heat. Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Add paprika and saute for 5 – 6 seconds. Add walnuts and melon seeds and saute for 30 – 40 seconds until the nuts and seeds is coated with paprika.
- Once done remove it from the heat and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix baby spinach, apple slices, onion slices, paprika coated nuts and seeds, dried cranberries and the salad dressing kept it in the fridge.
- Toss it gently together using a salad spoon. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Garnish with crumbled goats cheese and serve immediately!