Basic homestyle khichdi is my synonym for comfort food. There is nothing better that can remind you of clean and sumptuous home food than this Khichdi. A bowl of piping hot Mixed Dal Khichdi, a generous dollop of ghee and a fragrant tadka – a complete one pot meal and definitely your answer to a lazy day food.
Growing up in a Marwari family, khichdi was a pretty regular affair in the kitchen with so many different variations. Not only was it served with homemade ghee but also with kadhi, pickle, papad, fried munchies and curd. A simple dish was ornated and with that extra touch of love (read Ghee!) from grandmom made it even more delicious. Light on the tummy, nutritious and yummy, this lentil and rice concoction has been one of my all time favorite Indian meal. You definitely can’t go wrong with this one!
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 – 3 people)
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup uncooked lentils, soaked in water for 30 minutes (I took half moong dal and half Toor dal)
- 1 green chili, split lengthwise
- 2 – 3 dried red chilli
- 2 cloves
- 1 cardamom pod, seeds removed
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ghee + extra for garnishing
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- hing, to taste
- salt, to taste
- chopped cilantro leaves, for garnsihing
- fried onion, for garnsihing
- Take a saucepan and put it on medium heat. Meanwhile wash the lentils under water a couple of times.
- Once the saucepan is heated, put ghee. Now add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, hing, green chili, red chilli, grated ginger, bay leaf, cloves and cardamom pod and saute for 10 seconds.
- Now add the washed lentils and stir for 40 – 50 seconds.
- Add some salt and turmeric powder and mix it well. Add 1 cup of water and mix it. Cover the saucepan and let the lentil for 10 minutes or so.
- Once half done, add the washed rice into the saucepan and give it a good stir. Add more salt and around 2 1/2 cups of water and stir. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let the mix cook for 20 minutes or until the rice and lentil is perfectly cooked.
- Once done, transfer it to a bowl, garnish with coriander leaves, fried onions and a generous dollop of ghee and dig in!