The soup season is officially here and I am completely smitten by it. Warm jackets, hoodies, cozy blankets and everything to keep me warm is finally out and shining bright in my wardrobe. All I need is delicious comforting food to kick start my winter in the best way possible. And what better than this Roasted Pepper and Tomato Pasta Soup. Snuggled up in my blanket, this soul warming delicious soup is the perfect way to spend my winter evenings.
I remember as a child that right from the onset of winters, mum made tomato – carrot soup to lush green spinach soup or probably lemon coriander soup. This was followed by a creamy and cheesy casserole and then the usual Indian dinner. I admit I am lazy and can’t cook a myraid of things at once. Not a superwoman like my mum however hard I try. This soup is an inspiration from what she makes during winters – Soup + Pasta = Deliciousness!
The reddish hue comes from the beautifully roasted plump tomatoes, red peppers and fresh red chilis. The Indian and Italian herbs lends bags of flavor to this dish. Fresh herbs to finish it off and everything comes together beautifully with pasta. So grab your pots and pans now because this recipe is a must try.
INGREDIENTS: (For 3 -4 people)
- 10 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large red pepper, cut into big cubes
- 1 red chilis (they look like jalepenos, optional)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 piece clove
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp chili flakes (you can made more for spice)
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 200 C for atleast 15 minutes and slightly grease your baking tray with melted butter or oil and keep aside.
- Meanwhile take a big bowl with the mentioned quantity of olive oil, dried oregano, dried parsley, salt and black pepper and mix it using a spoon.
- Now add quartered tomatoes, 4 pieces of garlic cloves, bell pepper chunks and red chili to the olive oil mix and massage the veggies generously until coated with oil.
- Transfer it to the baking tray and bake it for 30 minutes at 200 C.
- Once done remove it from the oven and let it cool down.
- Meanwhile take a pot of water, add salt and bring it to boil. Once it comes to a rolling boil, add pasta and cook it according to instructions given in the packet.
- Once pasta is cooked, wash it under cold water and keep it aside.
- Now take a saucepan and add butter. Once hot add bay leaf, chili flakes and clove and saute for 30 – 40 seconds. Now remove the clove and add chopped garlic and cook it for 30 – 40 seconds on medium heat.
- Add onion and cook it until is translucent. Add the fresh basil leaves and cook it for 30 – 40 seconds.
- Now add the pan of roasted veggies and herbs to the saucepan and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Take it off the heat, remove bay leaf and using a stick blender, blend it to a fine pureé.
- Add it back to the saucepan on medium flame and adjust for seasoning and let it be hot.
- To serve, divide the pasta equally into serving bowls, put the soup on top of it, garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve hot!