I have been totally smitten by the amazing fresh cherries available in the grocery stores in abundance. Ruby red, a beautiful combination of sweetness and tartness and yes they are as expensive. I recently bought a huge box of cherries and my family is enjoying it thoroughly. Be it munching of these beauties as is, blending it into a smoothie, making desserts or slathering some Homemade Cherry Jam on breads and eating for breakfast.
The latest addition to the Jam and Spread section of my fridge is this delicious Cherry Jam. Chunky, vibrant and divine in flavor. Whether its topping my oatmeal or adding to desserts, this jam is creating some great flavor havoc in my kitchen. Super simple to make and surely this one will make you quit all the store bought jams and marmalades.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 1 cup)
- 1 3/4 cup fresh cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp caster sugar (You can add more if the cherries are too sour)
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Put a saucepan on medium flame. Add cherries, water and caster sugar and let the cherries cook in its own juices.
- Once the cherries have becomes mushy, take a spoon or a potato masher and slightly mash it.
- Take it off the flame and stir in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Allow the jam to cool and store it in the fridge for upto 1 week.