Do you often wish for a quick, delicious and healthy one bowl meals? Yes I do especially during summers because its almost impossible to spend time in front of the stove in this heat. I made this Sorghum Pulao and it solved all my summer woes. Comes together in no time and it’s become my absolute favorite healthy meal.
I remember my mum cooking a variety of pulao. I must say she is a genius considering her pulao repertoire. Whether it was my school lunch box where my friends still remember my mum’s corn pulao or its one of the days when I come to see her, the plethora of combinations that goes into each pulao along with her immense love and affection is unparallel. Taking inspiration from her recipes, this Sorghum Pulao has come to my rescue this summer. Colorful veggies, fresh herbs and perfectly cooked sorghum pearls – it’s time to enjoy summer meals too!
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 – 3 people)
- 3/4 cup of sorghum pearls
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini (optional)
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Soak sorghum pearls in enough water overnight or for 10 -11 hours.
- Drain the water and pressure cooker the sorghum pearls with fresh water and a bit of salt for 6 – 7 whistles. Once done let the steam escape on its own.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan put the oil and heat it on medium flame. Once its hot, add chilli flakes and chopped green chilli and saute for 10 – 15 seconds.
- Add onions and saute until translucent. Add the bell peppers and zucchini and saute it until tender.
- Add salt and half of the chopped parsley and let the veggies cook until tender.
- Add the sorghum pearls and toss all the veggies with it. Garnish with remaining parsley, coriander and grounded black pepper.
- Serve hot with raita or a bowl of plain curd.