It’s time to bid goodbye to my favorite fruit – Strawberries. I have to wait for another year to get my hands of these ruby red fresh strawberries and it’s not the best feeling. This Strawberry and Coconut Rice Pudding is a celebration of this amazing fruit. Creamy, delicious and perfectly comforting! A cozy morning with this bowl of yumness is everything dreamy mornings are made of.
The inspiration to make this came from a traditional Indian dessert called “Rice Kheer”, however having lots of canned coconut milk at home got me to try the coconut version of this. Devoid of any sweeteners, this is definitely something everyone in the family can enjoy. Healthy and celebration of strawberries!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 6 – 7 glasses)
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, soaked in water for atleast 1/2 hour
- 1 pc cinnamon stick
- 2 pc star anise
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup roughly chopped strawberries
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- almond slivers for garnish
- unsalted pistachios for garnish, roughly crushed
- sliced strawberries for garnish
- Take coconut milk , cinnamon stick and star anise in a sauce pan and put it on low-medium flame. Keep stirring it every 3 – 4 minutes to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile drain the water from the soaked basmati rice and wash it under running water atleast 2 – 3 times.
- Once the bubbles start forming on the edges of the coconut milk saucepan, add the soaked rice, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, orange zest and let it cook until the rice is completely cooked.
- Meanwhile take the chopped strawberries in another saucepan along with coconut sugar and put it on medium flame and let the strawberries cook in its own juices.
- Add lemon zest, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract to the strawberries and let it cook. Once done remove it from the stove and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled down stir in the chia seeds and keep aside.
- Once the coconut milk and rice mixture is cooked, remove it from the stove, remove the cinnamon stick and star anise and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Take serving glasses and equally divide the strawberry coulis among the glasses.
- Now equally divide the coconut rice mixture among the glasses on top of the layered strawberry coulis.
- Garnish it with slivered almonds, pistachios and strawberry slices.
- You can chill it slightly before serving or serve as is.