Continuing with the Holi specials, and the festivities require the much needed touch of sweetness aka sugar! These Thandai flavored shortbread cookies is just about that – buttery, sugary and loaded with the traditional Thandai flavors. While the traditional Holi specials hold a special place in my heart, these Thandai Cookies are my new favorites. Its time to enjoy traditional flavors in a new avatar. The versatility of the classic Indian flavors and spices amazes me every time. These Thandai shortbreads is a true epitome of that. The hint of black peppercorns and fennel seeds, the goodness from the nuts and the aroma from the rose petals and extract all beautifully come together to celebrate the essence of this festival of colors.
Minimal ingredients, comes together in no time and loaded with the goodness of Holi flavors. A must on your holi party this year, because everyone’s gonna love it!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 24 round cookies)
- 105 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 130 grams whole wheat flour + extra for dusting
- 3 1/2 tbsp thandai masala
- 35 grams icing sugar (you can use granulated sugar also)
- 1/4 tsp rose extract
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 170 C for atleast 15 minutes. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
- In a bowl beat the butter until smooth and pale. Now add the icing sugar and beat it until smooth and creamy. This might take around 50 seconds to a minute.
- Add in rose extract and beat it for 10 seconds.
- Now add whole wheat flour, thandai masala and salt and beat the mixture until just combined. There might be crumbs which is fine.
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured surface and bring it all together in the form of a flattened disc.
- Cover with a cling film and let it rest for atleast an hour in the refrigerator.
- Lightly flour the surface and roll out the dough to a 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick circle.
- Take a cookie cutter and cut the dough in the shape you desire and transfer it to the baking sheet and put it in the freezer for 10 -12 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Put the cookie to bake for 9 – 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Once done take out the cookie from the oven and allow it to cool down and dive in!