Holi is almost here and my kitchen is beaming with some delicious festive cooking. And I am giving myself a quick respite (almost everyday) with my Holi Special this year – Thandai Lassi. While Lassi is a quintessential drink in the North during the summers, no Holi celebration is complete without Thandai. A mix of these two during this season, is a must try.
I love the classic sweet lassi topped with a thick layer of malai. I am amazed how such a simple dish has so much versatility. Start with a blank canvas, throw in some of your favorite flavor combinations and you get a new avatar of your lassi. A pot of creamy homemade yogurt, aromatic homemade thandai masala, some ice cubes and a generous spoon of sugar and its done. Celebrate this season of colors with a glass of chilled Thandai Lassi and see how happy your friends and family are.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 2 glasses)
- 1 1/4 cup thick yogurt
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 3 tbsp thandai masala
- 6 tbsp sugar (you can add more if you like it to be more sweet)
- 2 tbsp milk, room temperature
- 7 – 8 strands of saffron
- 6 – 7 ice cubes
- In small bowl, mix milk and saffron strands and let it stand for 8 – 10 minutes.
- In a blender take yogurt, cold water, thandai masala, sugar, saffron mix and ice cubes and blend it until smooth.
- Transfer it to glasses and garnish with saffron strands and thandai masala and serve immediately.