Sudden lashing of rains calls for some comfort and cozy food. An overcast sky, the nip in the air and I am definitely craving something warm and delicious. Yes, the samosas and the fritters always tops the list, but have you thought of trying a Baked Oatmeal on a cold and gloomy day. Pure bliss! We are all oat lovers back at home, hence a baked oatmeal with fresh fruits is loved by all. Its time to get over with the usual oatmeal and try this gorgeous twist to your dish.
The warmth of the spices, raisins and the walnuts lends a beautiful character to the the whole dish. I tried some variations of this dish but adding apple and pears to it is my favorite. Whether its a weekend or a weekday, this quick and healthy breakfast is the answer to all your breakfast woes.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 3 – 4.5 inch ramekins)
- 1 cup rolled oats, heaped
- 1 medium sized apple, peeled and cored and diced
- 1 medium pear, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp coconut oil + extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp dried berries
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of nutmeg powder
- pinch of star anise powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 160 C for atleast 15 minutes. Meanwhile slightly greae the ramekins with coconut oil and keep aside.
- Now in a bowl mix oats, baking powder, walnuts, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, star anise powder, salt, raisins and dried berries and keep aside.
- Take another bowl and whisk the egg slightly. To that add milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and coconut oil and whisk it until just incorporated.
- Add wet ingredients mix to the dry ingredients and fold in until just incorporated and keep aside.
- Take the apples and pear and mix it together. Divide it among the ramekins and press it to the bottom.
- Now divide the oats and milk mixture evenly among the ramekins and pour it on the apple and pears.
- Garnish with some nuts and berries and put it to bake for 38 – 40 minutes.
- Once done take it out from the oven and dig in.