Back to some basic recipes – Homemade Lemonade! Sounds simple, tastes delicious but getting that proportion right is the most difficult task. Lemonade aka Shikanji has been my elixir for years now. Coming back from school on a sunny day, mum used to keep a chilled glass of Shikanji ready for me. Fresh and absolutely delicious! I miss mum’s Shikanji now especially after a long day at work or after a strenuous workout.
Filled with fresh herbs and basic pantry ingredients, try this recipe and you’ll fall in love with it.
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 people)
- 2 glasses of water
- 1 medium lemon + extra wedges for garnish
- 4 tbsp nolen gur/ honey
- 8 – 10 mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- pinch of rock salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed ice
- In a jug mix water, juice of 1 lemon, honey or nolen gur, cumin powder and rock salt and mix well.
- Take a mortar and pestle and add mint leaves 1 – 2 wedges of lemon and crush them together. Transfer it into the water mix and stir well.
- Divide the crushes ice between the glasses and pour the water mixture and serve.