What is holidays and merry making without any chocolate? A quintessential ingredient while baking because chocolate makes things taste darn delicious. One of my all time favorite holiday pairing is Chocolate and Almonds and when you get both these in a biscotti, its pure bliss. The magic of chocolate and almond is such that it entices you with every bite. The crunchy toasted almonds and the chunks of dark chocolate is a perfect treat for this holiday winter!
This year has been phenomenal for me. Everyday was a new day with lots of learn and relearn. Professionally and personally I have grown and become more confident. Yes, every path has its own hurdles, I learnt how to embrace it, work on it and come out of it sometimes successfully and sometimes unsuccessfully. And every lesson learnt called for a celebration and these biscottis is a reminder to the awesome year that almost flew past my eyes. A great treat to munch during the day before your ring in the new year. Crunchy, chocolaty and something which shouldn’t be missed this year!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 15 – 16 biscottis)
- 120 grams blanched almonds
- 110 grams all purpose flour
- 110 grams whole wheat flour + extra for dusting
- 135 grams granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 grams dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 C and line a baking try with parchment paper and keep aside. Spread the blanched almonds on the sheet and bake it for 10 – 12 minutes until just fragnant.
- One done remove it from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Chop it roughly and keep aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C for atleast 15 minutes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Now in a bowl add the eggs and granulated white sugar and beat until thick and pale. This would take about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat it for 30 – 40 seconds. To this add all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, orange zest and salt and beat it until just combined.
- Now add roughly chopped chocolate chunks and almonds and fold in the mixture gently.
- Transfer this dough to a lightly floured surface and roll the dough out in the shape of a log around 12 – 13 inches long and 4 – 4.5 inches wide. Bake this for 22 – 25 minutes.
- Once done remove it from the oven and let it cool for 5 – 7 minutes. Take a sharp knife and cut the log into pieces which is 3/4 inch – 1 inch thick.
- Preheat your oven to 170C for atleast 10 minutes. Keep each piece of half baked biscotti side by side on the baking tray and put it to bake on one side for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the biscottis on the other side and allow it to bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once done remove it from the oven and allow it cool completely. Once cooled bite into this magical biscottis.
- You can store it in an airtight container for 10 – 12 days.