Which is your favorite holiday cookie? Is it the Christmas special gingerbread cookies, some healthy oatmeal cookies, everyone’s favorite chocolate cookies or these drool worthy Dulce De Leche Christmas Cookies. December is the cookie month and there is so much excitement in my kitchen about it. Simple ingredients coming today everyday to create some new magical cookie. The latest on the block being these Dulce De Leche Christmas Sandwich Cookies. Totally festive and delicious in flavor. Every since I made a batch of these cookies, I think I have a crush on these. It got over from my kitchen in no time and its no exaggeration.
Buttery and loaded with the goodness of Dulce De Leche, these wonders are the prettiest things to gift this Christmas to your near and dear ones. The enticing smell of the freshly baked shortbreads wafting from the oven to the lip smacking Dulce De Leche, what a winning combo! The beautifully carved out stars, christmas trees in these cookies is surely to take you to Christmas cookie heaven. The fun day is just a week away and it’s time to make these beauties right away.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 12 sandwich cookies
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour + extra for dusting
- 60 gms icing sugar
- 220 gms unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup store bought Dulce De Leche (I used store bought Dulce De Leche)
- 1/4 cup icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- In a bowl, beat the unsalted butter until its smooth and pale. Now add the icing sugar and beat it for 40 – 50 seconds until its smooth and creamy.
- Now add vanilla extract and beat for 10 – 20 seconds.
- Add all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and lemon zest and beat it until just combined. There may be crumbs which is completely fine. Do not over beat it.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and bring the entire dough together and flatten it in the form of a disk, cling wrap it and put it in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to an hour.
- meanwhile line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 180 C for atleast 15 minutes.
- Once the dough its slightly firm, roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Using a cookie cutter cut out round cookies of 1/4 inch to 1/3 inch height. Transfer it to the baking tray.
- Now take smaller cookie cutter of different shapes and cut out the center of half of the cookies.
- Put this baking tray into the freezer for 10 minutes. Once done put it to bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely on the wire rack.
- Now take a whole cookie and spread 1 tsp (or slightly more) amount of Dulce De Leche evenly, keeping some gaps on the edges.
- Take a cookie with some shape carved on it and place it gently on the above cookie.
- Repeat the same with the remaining cookies and enjoy!