Its that time of the year when my kitchen smells gorgeous as much as how my house is beautifully decorated. Infact my whole house is already smelling like Christmas. Cakes and cookies, cookies and cakes – the pantry is stocked up with the most amazing ingredients, oven is working at full capacity and then everyday a new goodie is baked to keep the tummy happy and glee! Christmas baking is about lots of nuts and fruits and today’s recipe is just that – Fruit n Nut Healthy Bars.
While I was making these bars, I was reminiscing those days when mum used to create a dry fruit mixture for me to snack on during winters. Healthy and loaded with goodness from the nuts, these bars not only remind me of the merry making festive season, but also help me snack good food. Its time to ring in the festive season in a delicious way. Make these bars in no time, gift it to your friends and family and they will surely ask for more.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 8 -10 bars)
- 1 cup roughly chopped almonds (you can choose to slightly roast it)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dates (pits removed)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dried figs
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped dried apricots/ kiwi/ papaya
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 55 grams multigrain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 60 grams brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 150 C for atleast 15 minutes. Line an 8 inch baking mould with aluminium foil (with extra foil hanging on the sides so that it is easy to pull out the entire baked mixture from the mould) and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix almonds, walnuts, raisins, pistachios, cranberries, dates, figs, chocolate chunks, dried apricots and chia seeds and keep aside.
- In another bowl add baking soda, sugar and flour and mix it well. Add this mixture to fruit and nut mixture and make sure to coat it well.
- Using an electric beater, beat egg and vanilla extract well for around 2 minutes until the mix is thick and light in color.
- Add this egg mixture to the fruit n mixture and fold and coat in everything gently with the help of a spatula.
- Spread the mixture evenly, pressing it down slightly to the prepared pan and allow it to bake for 33-35 minutes until the mixture leaves the sides and turns slightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Remove the baked mixture using the aluminium foil sides and cut it into bars using a sharp knife.