Dal is staple to almost every Indian household. With a myraid of options to choose from, every one in the house has their all time favorite Dal. My favourite being my mum’s Dal Makhani. Yes mum’s extra dose of love in anything she cooks is incomparable but when you eat her Dal Makhani you are bound to fall in love with it. Lentils cooked to perfection, the aroma of the Indian spices and that creaminess – you can’t resist it.
This recipe is a variation of her recipe but super simple to make and definitely delicious. With the nip in the air, a bowl of this famous Punjabi style Dal Makhani along with chopped onions and rice is along you need. So snuggle yourself in a cozy warm blanket with this bowl of deliciousness and savor the amazing desi flavors.
INGREDIENTS: (For 3 -4 people)
- 1 cup whole black lentils/ whole urad dal
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, pureed
- 3 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup cream + extra for garnishing (I usel Amul cream)
- 1 green chili, split lengthwise
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 – 3 pieces of clove
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green (small) cardamom
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp shahi jeera or regular cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder (you can adjust in case you like it more spicy)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp dried kasuri methi leaves
- salt, to taste
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- Soak whole black lentils and rajma overnight in water and in separate containers.
- Next day, wash the lentils and rajma with fresh water a couple of times and put it in the separate pressure cookers.
- Put 4 cups of water in the pressure cooker with black lentils with a bit of turmeric powder and salt and put the lid on. Allow it to cook on low-medium flame for around 12 whistles or until tender and cooked.
- Put 2 cups of water in the pressure cooker with rajma along with salt and a pinch of turmeric powder and allow it to cook for 3 whistles on low-medium flame. Make sure the rajma is cooked but not completely masked inside the pressure cooker.
- Let the steam escape on its own from both the pressure cookers.
- Meanwhile take a saucepan and put it on low flame. Take cinnamon stick, black cardamom, small cardamom, cloves and bay leaf and dry roast it from 1 minute. Remove it and keep these condiments aside in a plate.
- Take butter in the same saucepan and put it on medium flame. Once its melted add cumin seeds and green chili and saute for 10 seconds.
- Now add the dry roasted condiments and saute for another 30 seconds. To this add tomato puree and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and let the mixture cook for a couple of minutes. Now add red chili powder and ginger garlic paste and let the mixture cook for 4 – 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to leave oil from the side.
- Now add garam masala and saute for 1 minute.
- To this mixture add the cooked rajma and black lentils and saute for 1 minute. Add 1.5 – 2 cups of water and let the whole mixture simmer on medium flame for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooked add dried kasuri methi and low fat cream and mix it.
- Take it off the flame, garnish with coriander leaves and some cream and serve!