Pizzas have taken a whole new meaning in the recent times. Its no longer about margaritas or all veggie pizzas anymore. Yes they do exist, but gourmet pizzas or even desi style pizzas have taken over completely. And yes this recipe is all about some of my favorite ingredients that make my recent favorite pizza – Mushroom and Mascarpone Cheese Pizza! The thought of throwing these 2 ingredients somewhat excited me and yes I am here sharing the recipe.
Making pizza has become far more exciting and easy. Slather a base of your choice, throw in some veggies and herbs and of course cheese and put it to bake. The outcome is heavenly! Pizza nights are indeed family nights. Its easy and fun! So just when you were wondering about what special to cook this weekend, this pizza is a must try! Fresh herbs and mushroom and great quality cheese is all what you need.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 2 – 8 inch pizza)
- 2 – 8 inch store bought thin crust pizza base
- 350 grams mushrooms sliced (you can use a combination or one of button or shiitake mushrooms)
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chili flakes (you can adjust according to your spice levels)
- 2 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 – 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 220 C for atleast 15 minutes. Meanwhile you can prepare the pizza.
- Take a saucepan and put it on low flame. Add the olive oil and the garlic cloves and saute it for 5 – 6 minutes until it starts to change its color.
- Now add chili flakes and saute. Next add finely chopped onion and saute it until its translucent. You can increase the gas to medium-high flame.
- Now add the mushroom slices, salt and 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves and saute it on high flame for 1 minute or so.
- Meanwhile take the mascarpone cheese in a bowl. Add some salt to it and using a spoon mix it.
- Now take 1.5 tbsp of mascarpone cheese and smear it on the base of the pizza evenly.
- Add half the mushroom mixture on the pizza base and spread it evenly.
- Garnish it with dollops of mascarpone cheese and half the grated mozzarella cheese. You can also put sprigs of thyme.
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 200 C and allow the pizza to bake for 12 – 15 minutes of until the edges turn crisp and golden brown.
- Once done, using a pizza cutter cut it into pieces and dig in!