Looking for an easy and delicious baking project (aka fun) for this weekend – get ready to be smitten over by this Tomato and Feta Galette. Fruit Galettes are too mainstream, a warm savory pie is what you need for these beautiful chilly evenings. Rustic and comfort is what this galette is all about.
I personally love pies, whether it is sweet or savory. However I am kinda lazy in making pies at home. It stresses me out. There are way too many do’s and don’t. I guess I should take up a challenge soon to make pies at home. Nevertheless galettes are the closest and the easiest free form pies where all the goodness is tucked in together and put into the oven. And now I guess you know why I love galettes. The look absolutely gorgeous. Throw in ingredients you love you are done!
Tomato and Feta Galette is a classic one. The buttery flaky crust, the creaminess of the feta and the tangy-ness from the cherry tomatoes makes you fall in love with it. Try this recipe over this weekend and I bet you’ll love it as much as I do!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 1 – 9 inch pie)
For the galette crust:
- 175 multigrain flour + extra for dusting (you can use all purpose flour also)
- 113 grams cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 – 4 grams salt
- 4 – 5 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
For the filling:
- 1 larger onion, diced
- 16 – 18 cherry tomatoes, halved or used as is
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 – 10 fresh basil leaves
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper to taste
- In a bowl take multi grain flour, salt, sugar and mixed herbs and mix it well,
- Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut the butter into the flour until it forms coarse crumbs. It is okay to see small chunks of the butter.
- Now add the ice cold water a couple of tablespoons at a time and bring together the dough.
- Dust the kitchen top with flour and transfer the dough on it. Add more water if needed and bring it together to make a ball. Cling wrap it and refrigerate it for an hour atleast.
- Once its kept in the fridge for sometime, preheat your oven to 200C for atleast 15 – 20 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Once the dough it chilled, take it out and roll it out to 15 inch circle. Transfer the pastry to the baking sheet.
- Now place the chopped onion on the rolled out pastry dough keeping around 2 – 2.5 inch gap from the edges.
- Take half of the feta crumble and sprinkle it over the onion layer. Sprinkle some salt and pepper too.
- Now layer it with whole cherry tomatoes, halved cherry tomatoes or a mix of both. Sprinkle the remaining crumbled feta on top.
- Fold the edges over the tomatoes gently or make pleats if necessary. Garnish it with a few leaves of basil.
- Take the lightly beaten egg and using a pastry brush, brush on the folded edges which will give it a nice golden color.
- Allow it to bake for 25 – 28 minutes at 200C or until golden crisp brown.
- Once done, transfer it to a wire rack and allow it to cool. Make slices and serve!