The quintessential Indian dessert made in every household is Kheer. I have grown up watching my grand mom and my mum making the most delicious Kheer ever. Patiently waiting for the milk to thicken, the rice to be perfectly cooked, the perfect amount of sugar and garnished with chopped dry fruits – already struck with nostalgia. Whether its a festival, any small function at home or an auspicious celebration – that Kheer is imperative.
Creamy and luscious, one spoon is never enough. Such a humble dish yet always a treat for your taste buds. A hot day and the chilled Kheer beckons and with the nip in the air, a bowl of hot Kheer is what is soul-satisfying. The aroma of the saffron and cardamom is quite inviting and the dried fruits adds the much needed richness and crunch to the dish.
With festivals just round the corner, this recipe is not to be missed. Made with basic pantry staples, this recipe is a no brainer. This recipe is a must in your repository. It’s easy to fall in love with it each and every time.
INGREDIENTS: (for 3 – 4 people)
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 1/3 cup long grain basmati rice
- 6 – 7 tbsp sugar (you can adjust the quantity as per your liking)
- 5 – 6 saffron strands
- 3 pieces green cardamom, powdered
- 1 tbsp unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp blanced and slivered almonds
- 1 tsp dried rose petals (optional)
- 10 – 12 pieces cashew nut (optional)
- Soak the rice in water for 40 – 45 minutes and rinse it nicey with water several times to remove the starch.
- Meanwhile put the milk to boil on low flame in a saucepan. Keep stirring it continuously to avoid it from sticking to the botton of the saucepan.
- Once the milk is reduce to slighlty more than half the quantity, add the soaked rice. Make sure to drain the water and add the rice to the milk.
- Keep stirring it intermittently and let the rice cook on low flame.
- Once the rice is 80% cooked and the milk thickens, add sugar to the mixture and stir it.
- Now once the rice is 95% cooked, add the cardamom powder, saffron strands, cashew nuts, almonds slivers and pistachios and mix it.
- Remove it from the flame and garnish with dried rose petals. Serve it hot or chilled as you like it!