Some dishes are like a dream come true on a plate. I often dream about it, obsess about it and then try to make my dream a reality. Yes I have been procrastinating my indulgent weekend brunch of French toast for quite some time now. With the nip in the air and overcast skies, its time to enjoy a cozy breakfast/ brunch aka Simple French Toast.
French Toast often reminds me of Fall. Even though here in India we do not witness an official Fall season, I am reminiscing my days in US – the rustling and falling of leaves, the delicious Fall inspired food, warmth of the spices and oh everything suddenly becomes simple yet dramatic. This French Toast is just that.
This doesn’t require bells and whistles to make you fall in love with it. Simple basic pantry ingredients is all what you need. The perfectly golden and fluffy bread, the cinnamon-y flavour, those tender berries and dark chocolate shavings – a perfect start to a lovely morning!
INGREDIENTS: (For 3 – 4 people)
- 1 brioche bread loaf, cut into 0.5-0.75 inch slices
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 180 ml whole milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1 cup sliced bananas (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate sauce
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate shavings, for garnishing
- 2 tbsp almond slivers, for garnishing (optional)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, for garnishing
- maple syrup, for garnishing
- In a bowl lightly whisk the eggs using a wire whisk or fork. Add milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt and whisk it. Transfer this mixture into a shallow bowl and keep aside.
- Meanwhile take a flat pan and put it on medium flame. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in it.
- While the butter is melting take a slice of bread and put soak it in the bowl of egg mixture on either sides.
- Put the bread on the pan and let it cook until golden brown on either sides.
- Transfer it to the serving plate. Garnish with chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings, berries and powdered sugar.
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!