My favorite ingredients in an oven baked version – yum! The flavor blast in every bite of this dish makes it a complete winner. I love and kind of prefer baking and roasting veggies in my small little oven rather than boiling and (over) cooking them on stove. Couple of reasons – put everything in the oven and it does the rest. You get time to focus on other errands simultaneously. Secondly, its definitely healthier and tastes darn good.
Make a single batch of sesame roasted mushrooms and cottage cheese or a huge batch, this gets over in no time. Whether you want to upgrade your appetizer game in a part, top it up as an add-on to your lunch meal or eat this as is, you’ll definitely obsess over it again and again. Its simple, its quick and super delicious.
This recipe is adapted from Sarah Jampel’s recipe for Crispy Sesame Baked Tofu and Shiitake Mushrooms. The ease of her recipe and the use of pantry staples makes me fall in love with it.
Soft and tender from inside, crunchy from outside, the flavor combination is stunning. The umami from the mushrooms, nuttiness from the flecks of sesame seeds and the aromatic oils – all this comes together beautifully. Hearty and healthy – this dish is here to stay!
INGREDIENTS: (For 1 -2 people)
- 150 grams mixed mushrooms ( I used a mixed of button and shiitake mushrooms)
- 200 grams cottage cheese cubes (you can use tofu also)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 tbsp mixed sesame seeds + extra for garnish
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- handful of micro greens, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 220C for atleast 15 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Wash and clean the mushrooms. Cut the mushrooms into medium slices. Make sure not to cut it think since it will burn too easily in the oven.
- Take half of the above mentioned quantities of – cornstarch, vegetable oil, sesame oil, mixed sesame seeds, chili flakes, soy sauce and salt – in a bowl. Put the mushrooms in it and toss it so that all the pieces are well coated.
- In a another bowl, take the cubes of paneer/ cottage cheese. Add the remaining amount of cornstarch, vegetable oil, sesame oil, chili flakes, soy sauce and salt, sesame seeds and the entire Panko bread crumbs quantity.
- Make sure to toss the cottage cheese gently in the mixture and ensure its generously coated.
- Place the mushrooms and cottage cheese cubes on the parchment paper. Make sure that the pieces are places beside one and another and not stacked one top of the other.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the pieces are golden brown and crisp.
- Take it out of the oven, mix it up, serve on a plate and garnish with micro greens.