Love to eat a cake at breakfast or do you love your tea time with a stumptuous piece of cake? Do not worry because this recipe has got you cravings covered. A simple and delicious cake often needs no introduction. A cake which has been adorning my breakfast and brunch tables these days is a Fig and Almond Cake. It is as pretty as it tastes and darn easy to make!
I must confess as much as I love eating cakes, I am not a bog fan of the frosting and fondants that come along with it. I hated it as a child because it was overly sweet and overpowered the true flavors of the cake and the feeling still prevails. When it comes to my kitchen, I enjoy baking cakes free of frosting. Something which is simple, naked and true to its flavors.
This cake is moist and fluffy. The combination of fresh and dried figs together in the cake is so magical. The subtle cardamom flavors lends an aromatic and spicy nature to the cake. The gorgeous and perfectly toasted almonds on the top adds the perfect crunch to the entire cake. Such simple ingredients yet a pretty little cake that you can never get bored off!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes a 6 inch cake)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plain buttermilk (you can use 1/2 cup yogurt + 1/4 cup water)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp dried figs, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp melted butter, room temperature + extra for greasing the cake tin
- 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, for garnishing
- 10 – 12 fresh figs, cut in circles for garnishing
- 2 tbsp icing sugar, for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 170 C for atleast 15 minutes. Butter and flour the cake tin and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, and salt and keep aside.
- In another bowl mix melted butter, eggs, milk, vanilla and almond extract and keep aside.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixture and fold gently.
- Add the dried figs to the mixture and fold in until its evenly spread.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake mould. Now top it with fresh fig slices, sliced almonds.
- Allow the cake to bake in the oven for 22 – 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Once done, allow the cake to cool down, garnish with icing sugar, slice it and eat!