My simple salad is calling me yet again! This salad has everything I love – fresh produce, colorful ingredients and a sweet zippy dressing. I often end up making salads at home because I am cognizant of the ingredients that go into it, about its freshness and quality. Being allergic to a few cut vegetables, I refrain from ordering salads at restaurants, until I am extremely craving for one (and also ready to face the repercussions).
This quick salad makes you land in a win -win situation because is healthy and amazingly delicious. Vibrantly flavoured, each element in this dish has immense character. The smokiness from the beets and corn, the creaminess from hung yogurt, the freshness from the microgrees (my new love) and those salted caramel walnuts – enough said! All of this with a honey mustard dressing, it can’t get any better.
Easy and yummy – welcome to my version of healthy eating!
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 people)
For the salad:
- 2 large beet
- 20 pieces walnuts
- 1 large corn cob
- 3 cups microgreens, nicely cleaned
- 1/3 cup hung curd
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced shallots
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped basil leaves
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C for atleast 10 minutes. Meanwhile line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a beets and wash and scrub it with water to remove all the dirt. Pat dry it using a kitchen towel.
- Place the beets in a foil, coat the beets generously with olive oil. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt. Cover it tightly with aluminium foil and put it in the oven to roast for 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Meanwhile char grill the corn on the flame. Take a sharp knife and remove the corn kernels from the cob and keep aside.
- Take a saucepan and put the sugar and let it melt. Once it starts to melt add the walnuts and 1/2 tsp salt and using a spatula start coating the walnuts and turn off the heat. Take the walnuts off the pan and keep aside.
- Add the remaining salt to the hung curd and mix it and keep aside.
For the dressing:
- Take honey, mustard, lemon juice and