I love summers for one simple reason – you get the best fruits in the market. From the king of fruits mangoes to cherries, peaches to my dad’s (and my absolute favorite too!) JAMUNS. Growing up seeing my grandparents and parents eating plump and juicy jamuns made me like the fruit even more. The delightful burst of flavor in each piece makes you want to eat a bowl full of these little wonders.
This recipe is indeed a thirst quencher during the hot and muggy days. The flavor of this cooler stirred in nostalgia with each sip. It reminded me of the “kala khatta” shaved ice that I ate almost everyday during my summer vacation in Kolkata. The sweet-tartness from the jamuns and the balance of sugar, salt and lemon is a perfect summer treat! While the amazing flavour of the jamuns linger on your palate, the gorgeous purple color of the cooler is a treat to your eyes.
Go get your jamuns right now because this is what you need to cool down during the sweltering hot days.
INGREDIENTS: (makes for 3 people)
- 3 cups of jamun
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1.5 cups water
- salt, to taste
- mint leaves, to garnish
- Put the jamuns, 1 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of water in a pot and put it on medium flame until the jamuns are soft and start to break.
- Once done, take it from the heat, allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Now using a spoon, remove all the seeds.
- Take the fruit pulp, remaining sugar, ice cubes, lemon juice and remaining water in a blender and blend until it liquid and no jamun flesh is left.
- Transfer it to a bottle/glass, garnish with mint leaves and serve immediately!