With the onset of summer, everyone needs an express meal which is healthy, fresh and delicious. This recipe was pure serendipity! The love of home made pesto and fresh veggies led to creation of this wonderful dish and now it’s my family’s favorite! So just when deciding on each day’s menu for dinner was becoming difficult, Pesto Vegetable Curry on a bed of brown/red rice has become a regular stress free weeknight meal.
The sweet scent of fresh basil simply exudes summer. The vibrant and mildy spiced green curry with a medley of colorful veggies screams of summer. So just when you are thinking of cooking something different, something appetizing, we’ve got this recipe up for you!
INGREDIENTS: (For 3 – 4 people)
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 1 tbsp for curry
- 6 garlic cloves + 4 garlic cloves for curry
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup broccoli florets, blanched in salt water and strained
- 1 cup button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup yellow bell peppers, julienne
- 1/2 cup red bell peppers, julienne
- 1/3 cup corn kernels, boiled
- 1 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup of milk (You can use 1/4 cu of fresh cream instead)
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- few fresh basil leaves, to garnish (optional)
- cooked rice, to serve with
- Combine garlic, basil leaves, walnuts and pine nuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Now add parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil and blend until a smooth paste is formed and all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Take a saucepan on medium heat and add 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Take 4 cloves of garlic and smash it with a pestle and put it in the saucepan. Take half of the chili flakes in the saucepan and saute it.
- Now add the bell peppers and a bit of salt and saute it for a couple of minutes until slightly cooked.
- Put in the broccoli florets and allow it to cook for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, corn and remaining chili flakes and saute all the veggies until cooked by 70%
- Now add the homemade pesto sauce prepared earlier. Add salt, oregano and let the veggies cook in the pesto paste for a couple of minutes.
- Add milk and let the curry simmer on low flame for 3 – 4 minutes, until the curry comes to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, add lemon juice and lemon zest, mix it with a spatula so that its well incorporated.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve it hot with rice.