Summer + funky salad + mangoes = PERFECT MEAL!
This power salad is a best way to eat healthy and enjoy the gorgeousness of the fruit of the season – Mango. Packed with black rice, fresh fruits, vibrant vegetables, herbs and nuts, this is pure happiness in a bowl. While I enjoy eating healthy food, flavor fatigue strikes in soon. It is important to keep experimenting with flavors, different ingredients and to appreciate the produce of that season. Black rice salad have now become a regular weeknight dinner for me where I can throw in different veggies and fruits in a bowl, drizzle a different dressing and your meal is sorted almost instantaneously. Among the different salads that I have been eating lately, this is my favourite.
Bursting with different flavors and textures, the plethora of color is this dish makes you want to dive into it right there. The earthy rice combined with the lush green broccoli, the sweet mangoes and mild flavor of the shallots compliments each other beautifully well. All this when combined with a ginger scented vinaigrette makes you fall head over heal in love with this dish. Easy to make, easy to assemble and a complete meal to beat this heat!
INGREDIENTS: (For 1- 2 people)
For the salad:
- 120 grams uncooked rice, soaked in water for atleast 8 hours
- 1 cup diced mangoes (I used alphanso mangoes)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, blanched in salt water until slightly soft
- 1/4 cup shallots, julienne
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 tbsp almond slivers, lightly toasted
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tbsp agave nectar (you can use honey)
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- Take a saucepan with water and bring it to boil. Now add the soaked black rice with a bit of salt and let the rice cook on medium flame until all the water has bbeen absorbed.
- Meanwhile using a wire whisk combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and agave nectar until well incorporated.
- Add the freshly grated ginger, dried mint, garlic, salt and pepper and stir it. Transfer this dressing to a jar and put it in the fridge until you serve the salad.
- Once the rice has been cooked, take a salad bowl and toss in the cooked rice, diced mangoes, blacked broccoli, shallots, torn basil leaves and half of the slivered toasted almonds.
- Drizzle with a generous amount of the salad dressing (right before serving). Combine well and serve the salad topped with the remaining toasted almonds.
Enjoy and stay healthy!