It is indeed interesting to see how interwoven food and memories are. Its fascinating to see how little things can stir an ocean of memories. One conversation about childhood food memories leads to a string of memories and each one has something unique to share. This recipe is inspired from my childhood’s favorite fruit – figs. Its fresh, luscious and incredibly satisfying.
As the mercury is soaring with each passing day all you need is some treat to beat this heat at the end of the day. Something that is easy, yet delicious. This fig and mascarpone filo tartlet is an absolute winner. Nestled in a filo pastry tartlet, the smoothness from the mascarpone cream and the juiceness from the roasted figs compliments each other to perfection. And not to miss the earthiness from the crushed pistachios balance out the sweetness of the entire dish. Quick and easy recipe which is yummy at anytime of the day. So grab those fresh figs and get going!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 6 pieces)
- 3 store bought filo sheets
- 8 pieces of fresh figs, quartered
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, metled
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup crushed unsalted pistachios
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 180C for atleast 10 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Take half of a filo sheet and fold it into half. Grease the cupcake mould with melted butter and then place the filo sheets as shown in the picture.
- Once the cupcake moulds have been lined, brush it with remaining melted butter evenly.
- Allow the filo sheet tartlets to bake for 10 minutes until the tarlets are golden brown.
- Take it out from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer it to an airtight container.
- In a bowl take honey and fresh rosemary. Mix it with a spoon. Add the fresh figs into the honey mixture and place the honey coated figs on the baking sheet.
- Allow it to bake for 7 – 8 minutes until soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, using a electric whisk, whisk the mascarpone cheese and fresh cream for a minute on low speed until its smooth. Add caster sugar and whisk for 30 seconds until the sugar is well incorporated.
- Now add the lemon zest the cream mixture and fold it gently.
- To assemble, take the filo tartlet and fill it with the cream mixture. Place 3 – 4 quarters of the grilled figs. Garnish with pistachios and serve it immediately.