STRAWBERRIES – yes I am completely smitten by this gorgeous fruit. When the stores are full of fresh and juicy strawberries, you can’t stop thinking of the multitude of recipes that you can end up making. From desserts to smoothies, jams to salads, strawberries is the star of the dish where ever you add them. So don’t be surprised if my recent posts have lots and I really mean lots of strawberries in it.
Strawberry Avocado Salad is a classic salad which is highly nutritious and yummy. This is a must try recipe when the fruit is in its best form. While the avocados add the creamy texture to the salad, the strawberries shine brightly adding the tanginess and sweetness to the salad. And by now you might have figured out how I love balsamic in my dishes so here we have honey balsamic vinaigrette to get the salad all together.
So when strawberry is in season and you are trying to eat right, eat healthy – this salad is not to be missed. Yes, healthy can be definitely delicious!
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 – 3 people)
For the salad:
- 15 strawberries, cut lengthwise
- 1 avocado, diced into cubes
- 10 almonds, cut into slices
- 6 big spinach leaves, washed and pat dried
- 1/4 cup dill leaves, for garnishing
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinger
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
- freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 150 C for atleast 10 minutes. Meanwhile line a baking sheet with parchment paper and toast the almond slices for 8 minutes or until light golden.
- Once toasted keep it aside for final assembly.
- Meanwhile take balsamic vinegar, honey, dijon mustard and olive oil in a bowl and using he wire whisk, keep whisking until well incorporated.
- Now add the crushed garlic clove, red chili flakes, salt and pepper and whisk it again and transfer it to a container.Place the lid and keep it in the refrigerator until you will serve the salad.
- Now to assemble the salad, place the spinach leaves on the bottom of the serving plate. You can choose to chop the leaves lengthwise for ease of eating also.
- Now randomly place the strawberries and avocado cubes on top of the spinach leaves.
- Now garnish with the toasted almonds and dill leaves.
- Right before serving drizzle a generous amount of the vinaigrette, toss the salad ingredients and enjoy!