Steaming cup of coffee, reading a book and a slice of coffee cake – wonderful pleasures of life! Breakfast, brunch or tea and me time, don’t forget this scrumptious flavorful explosion bomb – coffee loaf cake. Its moist, its delicious and everything that you need with your daily cup of coffee.
My pantry can run out of everything but coffee! It’s my lifeline to keep me going everyday. So when you combine two of your favorite things – coffee and baking, there is excitement in the kitchen and you can’t stop grinning about it. The aroma of the coffee spreading throughout the kitchen along with the nuttiness from the nuts, is simple phenomenal. Make it like a simple loaf or if you are feeling indulgent top it up with a sugar glaze or streusel topping, this cake is a crowd pleaser.
While the coffee mellows down the sweetness from the cake, the nuts add the crunch element to the loaf and the spices add the much required warmth to the cake. Yes, it takes no time to bake it and can last till 3 -4 days. Its so darn yummy that the question you should ask if will it last that long?
Bake it now, cut a slice and enjoy!
METHOD: (1 – 9 inch loaf pan)
- 100 grams all purpose flour
- 115 grams unsalted butter + some for greasing, room temperature
- 120 grams caster sugar
- 4 tsp instant espresso powder (I used Nescafe espresso powder)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 30 grams walnut, toasted and crushed into small chunks
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180C for atleast 15 minutes. Meanwhile grease the baking tin wit butter and line the base with parchment paper.
- In a bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, pinch of salt and cinnamon powder and whisk it. Now add the walnuts chunks and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Now add the egg one at a time and beat it until well incorporated.
- Now add the flour mixture in 3 batches alternating with milk.
- Beat it just until well combined or you can use a spatula to fold it gently.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf tin. You can top it with crushed walnuts, cinnamon and sugar mixture or bake just as is.
- Allow it to bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow it to cool on the wire rack and cut it into slices and eat!
Keep baking, keep eating!