Your New Year’s eve breakfast special – a reminder of the good things that happened in 2016 and much more happiness that will bestow on you this 2017. Yes, I do believe in starting the last day of the year and the first day of the coming year with great vigor and excitement. I do believe in the fact that if we start anything with a positive note, the positivity trickles down through out – be it the first day of the year, be it any task you are undertaking or probably any other day of the year. And now I suddenly this is too much philosophy but I do believe in this.
And now when I talk about having a special breakfast, muffins are a must. Some of my favorites are banana muffins, apple muffins but what surpasses all is the vanilla spiced oat crumble muffins. These are my recent favorite and they are so delicious.
While the spices like star anise, cinnamon provide you the perfect warmth during the winters, the oat crumble adds the perfect golden color to the muffins and a lovely healthy texture too. I simply love making these since its quick, mess free and tastes beautiful.
So as this wonderful year comes to a close, let’s celebrate a new year, a new day with these beautiful muffins. I am sure you will love it as much as I do. HAPPY NEW YEAR
INGREDIENT: (Makes 9 muffins)
- 100 grams all purpose flour
- 120 ml yoghurt
- 60 ml flavorless vegetable oil
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 1/3 cup full fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp star anise powder
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 50 grams butter
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 60 grams rolled oats ( I used Quaker oats)
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- Preheat you oven to 180C for atleast 15 minutes. Also line your muffin tray with muffin liners or grease it using a non stick cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, take butter, brown sugar, rolled oats and honey and keep it on medium heat until all the components are well combined. Take it off the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, mix yoghurt, baking powder and baking soda and allow the mixture to stand for 5 minutes.
- Sieve all purpose flour, star anise powder, cinnamon powder and whisk and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix caster sugar, oil and vanilla extract and whisk it well.
- Add the curd mixture to the oil mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Now add the all purpose flour mixture to the oil-curd mixture along with lemon zest and gently fold the mixture until all the components are well incorporated.
- Add milk and mix the batter gently.
- Fill each of the muffin liners by half its quantity. Taking a small portion of the crumb put it on top of each of the muffins until the batter below isn’t seen. Make sure not to dump a lot of the crumb on the batter.
- Allow the muffin to bake for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow it to cool down for 10 -15 minutes and serve warm or you can eat it at room temperature.
These muffins are great accompaniment to vanilla ice cream or salted caramel ice-creams too.
Wishing all my readers a Happy New Year! Thank you for all your support. Keep cooking, keep eating!