Chocolate, peppermint and sugar – a match made in heaven! These are my favorite holiday cookies and oh so addictive. The decadent chocolate cookies encased in sugar is nothing short of blissfulness. So if you haven’t yet started baking your holiday cookies, it’s Happy Christmas Cookie Baking Friday!
The melt in your mouth center and the crispiness towards the edges of these cookies with a generous coating of sugar makes it look simple and darn pretty. Though I don’t live in that part of the world where it snows, but looking at the pictures in the books since childhood (and now Facebook and Google) these crinkle cookies are just everything I have envisioned about Christmas – snowy wonderland that tastes delicious. The cracking of the cookies while its baking in the oven is so satisfying that it make you want to eat the cookies right away.
So if you need some quick and easy to make cookies to adorn your Christmas dessert tray then these crinkle cookies is your resort. It’s Christmas, it’s time to indulge and it’s time to bake these chocolate and peppermint crinkle cookies for your friends and family now.
INGREDIENT: (Makes 15 cookies)
- 30 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 130 grams dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped (I used 55% dark chocolate)
- 1 large egg
- 50 grams granulated sugar
- 90 grams all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp peppermint essence
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup icing sugar, for coating
- Using double boiler method, melt roughly chopped chocolate and unsalted butter until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Keep the melted chocolate and butter mixture aside and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, beat granulated sugar and egg using a electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Now add vanilla extract, peppermint essence and room temperature melted chocolate mixture and beat it just incorporated.
- Now in a separate bowl, whisk all purpose flour, baking powder and salt using a wire whisk and keep aside.
- Now all the flour mixture to the egg-chocolate mixture and beat until it forms a dough and is well mixed.
- Cling wrap the dough and refrigerate atleast for 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 160C for atleast 15 minutes. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a tablespoon of the dough and make a ball out of it. (You can choose to flatten it a little).
- Generously coat the chocolate ball with icing sugar. Repeat it with the remaining dough and place it on the baking sheet with each ball being 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookie for 7 – 8 minutes. Please do not over bake it since the cookie will become dry.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly and indulge! These cookies are best when eaten the day its baked. However you can store these cookies in an airtight container for 2 – 3 days.
Happy holidays and Merry Xmas!