The countdown to Christmas has begun and its time stock up all the holiday baking wonders! With the dawn of December, comes in a month of baking sprees. The baking of cookies, gingerbread cakes or cranberry tarts just fills the entire house with beautiful aroma each day. The concoction of the different spices being infused in each dessert is so enticing that it is difficult to wait till the dessert is baked.
Linzer cookies is a perfect example of the flavorsome festive cookies that you can’t stop with just one of the cookie sandwiches. It’s addictive, period! I was scared of making these cookies since it involved some crucial pressure points (only in my head), however once I decided to make these, I completely enjoyed it especially when they turned out yummy.
The nutty buttery cookies with the aromatic spices comforts you amidst the nip in the air. These tender cookies are just perfectly sweet and the tartness from the jam makes the whole sandwich look and taste lovely! So why wait, just crank up the oven temperature, whisk up the list of ingredients mentioned below and enjoy this Christmas with these beautiful cookies.
INGREDIENTS: (makes 10 cookies sandwich)
- 75 grams whole almonds
- 140 grams all purpose flour
- 80 grams caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- pinch of star anise powder
- 113 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- yolk of 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam (I used store bought 24 Mantra Organic)
- 1 tsp black Chia Seeds
- 40 grams icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 170C for atleast 15 minutes.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the whole almonds on the baking tray and put it to toast for 7 – 8 minutes until slightly brown and the aroma of the toasted almonds starts coming.
- Once toasted, allow it to cool completely. Once cooled put it in the grinder with 20 grams of caster sugar and grind it until it forms a fine powder.
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated.
- Add in almond meal in the mixture and mix in until mixed properly.
- Now add in salt, nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder, star anise powder, lemon zest, all purpose flour and beat it until just combined.
- Now cover the cookie mixture in cling film and refrigerate for 30 – 45 minutes or until firm.
- Once it is firm, roll the cookie dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut it with the cookie cutter as shown in the pic. (You could use other shape cookie cutters too)
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut the center and place the cookies on the baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Now place it in the middle rack of the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool and then transfer it to the wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are baking, mix chia seeds and jam in bowl and whisk it until its lump free.
- Place the cookies with the cut out on a baking sheet and dust it with icing sugar.
- To assemble the cookies, put a spoon of jam on the whole cookie and then place the cookie on top with the icing sugar. Now you are ready to take a bite!
Enjoy and Merry Christmas 🙂