And the month of Christmas is right here. Joining in the baking bandwagon during this month is indeed pretty exciting. For me Christmas is about baking, period! Be it the aroma of freshly baked gingerbread cookies, boozy fruit cakes, plum cakes or jam thumbprint cookies, its divine! So here is my take on the old fashioned Strawberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies.
These cookies transports me to my childhood days, when my mom used to make jam filled cookie sandwiches during Christmas. It was devouring! Take inspiration from those cookies, is when I decided to make the seasonal favorite, easy to make Jam Thumbprint cookies. The ruby red strawberry jam glistening on top of the shortbread cookies adds a nice festive touch to it. The sweetness from the shortbread cookies is perfectly complimented by the tartness from the strawberry jam. And if you are a jam addict (like me), then you get lucky to have spoonful of jam once the baking session is over!
So as the Christmas baking chapter starts right here, surprise Santa with these melt in your mouth delicious cookies. Fill gift bags with these cookies and yes don’t forget to gorge on these cookies yourself. I bet no one can resist such delicious temptation!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 15 cookies)
- 113 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 140 grams all purpose flour
- 55 grams granulated sugar
- yolk of 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam (I used store bought strawberry jam)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C for atleast 15 minutes. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl beat the unsalted butter and granulated sugar until its light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and egg yolk and beat the mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all purpose flour, orange zest and salt in a separate bowl and keep aside.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg-butter mixture and beat until the mixture is just combined.
- Cover the mixture and put it in the refrigerator for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Take it out of the fridge, roll the mixture into balls and place it on the parchment paper. Make sure each cookie dough is placed atleast 1 inch apart from each other.
- Using your thumb, make an indentation in the middle of the cookie. Fill it with a generous amount of strawberry jam.
- Bake the cookies for 12 -14 minutes, or until golden brown. Take it out of the oven and leave it to cool on the wire rack.
- Once cooled, eat and enjoy!