The start of October means the start of festivals all across India. There is an aura of happiness and wafting aroma of excellent food everywhere. I indulge to my hearts content, however I try to reset my day by eating something healthy, atleast one meal a day. The idea of eating healthy and delicious food got me to make this Rainbow Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette. It was inspired by a salad I ate at Yoga Cafe in Mumbai – simply soul satisfying!
This Rainbow Salad is indeed a treasure trove of the freshest fruits and vegetables that I picked up from a local grocery store. The vibrant colors and textures of the ingredients, makes it a picturesque plate of food where you want to dig in. The crispiness from the home grown lettuce leaves to the fresh explosion of pomegranate pearls and orange segments is blissful. The alfalfa sprouts ornate the dish beautifully and add a nice earthy feeling to it. While the tomatoes add the juiceness to the dish, the smokiness comes from the char grilled peppers. Assimilating these ingredients might be time consuming at times however the outcome is great too. The feta cheese (one of my favorite cheese) adds the creaminess to the powerhouse salad and all this is well brought together with a simple balsamic vinaigrette. Remember to drizzle the dressing right before you eat it.
Yes, I am a salad person but I get bored eating the same salads again and again. However this is one salad where you can experiment with different ingredients – add some, delete some and never get bored. Eat this colorful salad, eat healthy, stay healthy!
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 – 3 people)
For the salad:
- 25 grams of Alfalfa sprouts
- 10 – 11 pieces lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 6 orange segments, deseeded
- 1 medium sized red pepper
- 1 big tomato, deseeded and cut lengthwise
- 40 grams feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 10 pieces toasted walnuts (optional)
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 6 mint leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- For the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a glass jar/container. Shake well and keep it in the refrigerator for atleast 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile brush the red pepper generously with olive oil and keep it on a naked flame so that it chars. Turn the side every 2 minutes to get a even char on the red pepper.
- Once its grilled, put it in a bowl with cold water. Peel the skin and cut it into thin strips and keep aside.
- Take a bowl or a platter, place the lettuce leaves. Randomly place half the grilled peppers and tomatoes on the leaves.
- Now scatter the alfalfa sprouts and the remaining tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, orange segments and feta cheese cubes.
- Right before eating drizzle the vinaigrette, toss it and enjoy the salad.
Stay healthy, stay happy!