Mushroom, spinach and corn – classic combination! Respite from the onslaught of the summers, this meal is a perfect way to celebrate the monsoons. The combination of spinach corn and mushroom stirs in so much nostalgia. While coffee shops and cafes were opening in every nook and corner, my mom and I used to end up going to Barista to have their amazing spinach-corn sandwich and brownie. Our shopping sprees often ended with a visit to Barista. Very soon my mom started making the same sandwich and at home and it was delicious.
Then came in a new cafe in Kolkata called Picadilly Sqaure and their Popeyes Pick crêpe created a sudden rage all across the city. Evenings with friends were often spent in this cafe trying out their different crêpe but nothing could compare their Popeyes Pick crepe. It was melt in your mouth delicious with oodles of cheese. Going on the similar lines, I decided to create my version of Popeyes Pick with a twist. This pie is inspired from the flavors of the dishes I enjoy the most when I am in Kolkata. Right out of the oven, its deliciousness overload. The veggies, fresh herbs and the flaky crust compliment each other making it a soul and tummy satisfying meal for you family.
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 – 3 people)
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup button mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sweet corn kernels, boiled (I used frozen kernels)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil + more for brushing
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tbsp cheddar cheese or processed cheese (optional)
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 4 sheets of store bought filo pastry
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- pinch of sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 C for atleast 15 – 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile take a saucepan and blanch the spinach leaves with pinch of sugar. That helps it the spinach leaves to remain bright and green.
- Once it is blanched, drain it and run it under cold water to prevent it from cooking further. Squeeze out all the excess water and set aside.
- Take a saucepan and heat the olive oil. Once heated add chili flakes and sauté for 20 seconds. Now add garlic and sauté until its light golden in color.
- Next add the sliced onion and sauté it until its translucent.
- Add corn kernels, shiitake mushrooms and button mushrooms and sauté it until the mushrooms are half cooked.
- Add blanched spinach, dried oregano and salt and sauté for a minute.
- Next add in fresh basil leaves and fresh cream and give the whole mixture a good stir.
- Turn off the stove and add lemon zest and freshly grounded black pepper to the above mixture and mix it.
- Meanwhile take two ramekins. Fold the filo sheet into half and line 1 ramekin as shown in the picture.
- Take 1/2 file sheet and cover the top of the ramekin as shown in the picture. Brush it with olive oil and sprinkle generous amount of sesame seeds.
- Repeat the same with the second ramekin.
- Put it in the oven to bake. Bake it at 180 C for 20 minutes and 150 C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take it out and serve hot. Enjoy!