Granola bars have become my absolute favorite snack. They satiate my sweet cravings in a healthy way. These happiness health food bars have solved my problem of binge eating to a great extent. Its a complete powerhouse to keep you going through the day.
Living in San Francisco, I ended up hiking a lot. Beautiful weather, picturesque vista points and great company. Some healthy and mess free snack was so important and this is when I resorted to granola bars from Trader Joes. They were delicious and my favorite. Moving back to India I started missing them especially during my snack time. So I decided to make my version of granola bars, mixing some ingredients that I love and that are easily available. Homemade bars are indeed so much more delicious.
With every minute being precious at morning, I fail to cook lavish breakfast for my family. Finally these granola bars have come handy. You can have it as your morning energy meal or your afternoon snack with a cup of coffee, its wholesome and super healthy. Keep tinkering with different ingredients you have at your home, the possibilities are going to be endless and the result – some marvelously yummy granola bars!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 6 – 8 bars)
- 1/2 cup + 6 tbsp rolled oats (I used Quaker oats, toasted lightly)
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tbsp dark choco chips
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl mix peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract and keep aside.
- In another bowl mix lightly toasted rolled oats, almonds, chia seeds, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Now add the wet and the dry ingredients together. The mixture might be very difficult to work with since it might be dry but mix it well.
- Lastly when all the above ingredients are well incorporated, add the choco chips and mix well.
- Line a baking dish/ tin with parchment paper with sufficient parchment paper on the sides so that we can life up the mixture later using the parchment paper.
- Transfer the granola mixture to the baking dish and press it down firmly so that no gaps are left in the corner.
- Allow it to set in the refrigerator for atleast 2 hours or until firm and it holds its shape.
- Once set, lift the entire mixture using the extra parchment paper in the sides. Using a sharp knife cut it into bars of even size and enjoy!
- Put the oats on a baking tray lined with baking paper and toast it for 7 – 8 minutes at 150C in a preheated oven.
- You can use white chocolate chips instead of dark chocolate chips
- You can use flax seeds instead of chia seeds.