Bread upma is a really easy dish which you can have during your breakfast or for evening snacks. Loads of daily Indian spices, this dish is bound to kick start your day in a flavorful way. I love this dish basically because you can make it in just no time and secondly it uses all the leftover bread slices and vegetables in your fridge.
I have amazing childhood memories associated with it. I remember during my school days one of my friend used to get bread upma (though a slightly different version) and we loved it. There were days when I had her version of bread upma for tiffin in school and then my mum used to make it at home as an after school snack. Still I never got bored of it. These days when there is slight late start to my day, I often end up making his quick breakfast dish for my family. Its healthy, its delicious and definitely loaded with Indian flavors.
So as the weekend starts and you need long hours of sleep (and morning sleep is priceless), get this recipe up your sleeves, because you will definitely need it!
INGREDIENTS: (F0r 2 – 3 people)
- 7 pieces of whole wheat bread, sides removed
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 capsicum, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 green chili, cut lengthwise
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- salt, to taste
- Take a saucepan and put the oil. Once it is heated add the mustard seeds and wait for it to crackle.
- Next add the curry leaves and chili and sauté for 30 – 40 seconds.
- Add in the onions and sauté it until its turns translucent.
- Meanwhile take the bread pieces and cut it into 1 inch squares and keep aside.
- Its time to add in the capsicum and red bell pepper. Put in the turmeric powder and the salt too.
- Let the peppers become soft and then add the tomatoes. Add the red chili powder and sauté.
- Just minutes before serving, add the bread pieces and mix it well.
- Switch off the heat and add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Have a great start to the day.