When opposites attract, life is indeed fun. The age old saying of “opposites attract” is completely true in my case, especially when it comes to what kind of food my husband and I enjoy. I am not a big fan of peas, infact never charmed by it. And on the other hand its my husband who simply loves these little green pearls. Toss peas in some nice tomato or cashew gravy, make flatbreads with peas or make a pea soup, he enjoys it. To tell you, when I am tired or not having a great day in the kitchen, peas has often been my savior.
A few days ago my husband wanted to have pea pasta. I was quite skeptical about it and tried to convince him to change his mind. That didn’t work so I thought I should try making it before giving up. To my surprise, the pasta was loaded with bags full of flavor. It was visually quite appetizing. The vibrant green hues from the peas and the fresh herbs made the pasta quite flavorful and added a beautiful texture to it.
If you are having busy weeknights or have guests coming over in a short notice, make this comforting dish. It is nutritious and quite satisfying. Simple ingredients, simple recipe combines together to make a delicious meal!
INGREDIENTS: (For 2 people)
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas (If you enjoy peas you can use 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas), boiled around 90%
- 400 gms of pasta (You can use spaghetti, farfalle or fusilli)
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (optional)
- 20 gms of fresh basil
- 10 gms of fresh flat parsley (optional)
- 3 tbsp fresh cream
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 big lemon
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, for garnishing
- toasted pine nuts, for garnishing (optional)
- Firstly boil the pasta in a pot with some water until its al dente. Once its cooked, drain the water and wash it with cold water to avoid the pasta from cooking further.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the pasta to avoid it from sticking to each other.
- In a pan, heat some olive oil and add chilli flakes and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the chopped garlic sauté for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the shallots and cook it until it translucent. Now add the peas and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add in salt and black pepper along with the pasta. Toss it well.
- Now we need to add fresh cream and give it a good toss. Next put in the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.
- Lastly add the fresh basil and parsley leaves and toss it nicely.
- Serve hot garnished with parmesan cheese, pine nuts, basil and parsley leaves.