With abnormally hot weather, tossing up a salad for meals is quite satisfying.These days I tend to get really excited about salads as a kid would be excited in a candy store. So here I am, sharing a feel good salad recipe – Fattoush. Its a Middle Eastern dish, ubiquitously present in every mezze table. Its visually appealing and packed with bags of fresh and bold flavors.
Fattoush salad has no fixed recipe with respect to the measurements, I feel its more how I rediscover my creativity every time I make this salad. I love to play with the different ingredients. I often end up using local ingredients rather than using the exotic ingredients the original recipe demands, since it is not always readily available. The vibrant leaves and vegetables tossed in a zesty lemon dressing, the aroma of the fresh herbs and the crunch from the bread/pita brings together to a salad you won’t treat as a punishment. The nicest part of this salad is the sumac powder which makes the whole experience worth it. Its a must buy ingredient if you want to enjoy the true flavors of Middle Eastern cuisine. Even as I am writing this recipe I am salivating and probably going to make this salad today again for dinner. Enjoy this mouth watering easy to follow salad recipe.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped (you can use orange, red and green tomatoes too)
- 2 – 3 medium size radish, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sized capsicum, diced
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (you can also cut it into cubes)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 2 big pita breads
- 12 – 15 black olives, chopped (optional)
- few chunks of feta cheese (optional)
- 4 tsp sumac (if you can’t find sumac you can use dried Indian ber powder, also called ber kuti)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 cloves 0f garlic, crushed
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 175 C for atleast 10 minutes. Brush the pita breads with olive oil and toast on a baking sheet for 12 – 15 minutes in the oven until it is golden brown and crunchy.
- Cool it and tear into pieces.
- To make the dressing whisk together olive oil, lime juice, powdered sugar, 3 tsp of sumac powder, crushed garlic, salt and freshly grounded black pepper.
- In a bowl combine cucumber, tomatoes, radish, capsicum , romaine lettuce, onion, parsley leaves, olives,mint leaves and toss it together.
- Add the salad dressing prepared earlier and miss it nicely. Now add in the the torn pita bread and toss.
- Garnish it with sumac powder, parsley leaves and a few mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Enjoy the freshness!