Thinking of calling your friends over for tea, lemon shortbread cookies are perfect complements for a late afternoon tea, cookies and chat with friends. Whipping up a batch of shortbread cookies often transports me to a little local Scottish cafe where I am dunking these yummy cookies into a piping hot cup of tea – surreal!
I was not a person who loved lemon in my desserts until I happen to eat amazing lemon cookies in a cafe in SF and after which there is no looking back. Shortbread cookies are quite addictive and now one of my favorite forms of cookies. Its rich, flaky and delicate. The subtle zing of the lemon is captured in one buttery beautiful piece.I often love munching these while writing my blog or while reading my kindle. I know I can complete a whole batch of freshly baked lemon shortbread, but I try to control myself not to indulge so much into such luxurious treats.
Its such an easy recipe without having to follow any difficult baking techniques. You can end up baking these petite wonders in just no time. So wear those baking aprons, get your hands dirty and bake these lemon shortbread cookies today.
INGREDIENTS: ( Makes 12 – 14 cookies)
- 180 gms all purpose flour
- 55 gms powdered sugar
- 115 gms unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- In a bowl combine pre sifted all purpose flour and salt and set aside.
- Using an electric beater combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice. Now mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated well.
- Flatten the dough into a disc shape, wrap in a plastic wrap and chill the dough for atleast 1 hour or until firm.
- Now preheat the oven at 180 C for atleast 10 -15 minutes. In the meanwhile line the baking sheet with parchment paper
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough into 1/4 inch – 1/2 inch thickness. Then cut into circles, squares or any other shape using a floured cookie cutter.
- Transfer the cookies into a baking sheet. Put the baking tray in the freezer for another 5 – 10 minutes so that the cookies firm up a bit.
- Now bake it for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Once bakes cool on the wire rack.
- You can sprinkle some caster sugar if you like or glaze it with lemon glaze.