Even when the sun is glaring and the mercury is rising, desserts are something that everyone seems to enjoy. And what better way to enjoy than the refreshing and juicy berries in this summer. Berries in Jelly is a fancy looking dessert which is sure to win hearts. Its light and perfect after meal indulgence.
Being an ardent fan of Masterchef, I got the inspiration for this dessert from one of the episodes from the latest season of Masterchef Australia. With fresh berries readily available in the stores in San Francisco, I had to try my hands in it. Be generous in adding the berries in the dessert. If fresh berries are not available, you can use the frozen ones too. The berries bursting in your mouth is quite invigorating. The colors of the dessert is inviting and the flavor is fantastic. Set it in individual moulds, wine glasses, little tea cups or in a terrine, this dessert is a super easy and a definite stunner.
INGREDIENTS: (For 3 – 4 people)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup strawberries, halved
- 1/3 cup blackberries
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- 4 gelatin leaves
- 3 tbsp castor sugar
- 450 ml Prosecco
- Few mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Chantilly cream, for garnish (optional)
For non-alcoholic version you can also use the Strawberry jelly packets available in the stores and make it as per the directions given on it. Avoid using the gelatin, castor sugar and Prosecco mentioned in the recipe above.
- Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water until its soft.
- Meanwhile mix the berries in a bowl and set aside. Place the berries in the mould in which you will set the jelly, filling it about 3/4th its capacity. Keep it in the fridge to chill.
- Once the gelatin leaves are soft, shake off the excess water and place it in a bowl with hot water and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Make sure that the water is not boiling.
- Once the above gelatin mixture is cooled to room temperature, add Prosecco to it. Pour this mixture into the moulds with the fruits.
- Allow it to set for 6 – 8 hours or until finely set.
- Before serving, place the moulds in a container with hot water so that the contents unmould easily.
- Serve it with chantilly cream and topped with few mint leaves.
If you are using the Strawberry Jelly packets then make the jelly mixture as per the instructions given in the packet. While doing so keep the berries in the fridge to chill in the mould you are going to set the jelly in.Once your mixture is ready pour it in the mould with the berries in it and allow it to set until firm. Unmould it and serve with chantilly cream and mint leaves.