A major respite from the onslaught of the scorching heat is the availability of juicy mangoes. The grocery stores are now brimming with mangoes and practically every Indian household has plethora of it in their refrigerators. Be it kids or adults, everyone enjoys the king of fruits – mangoes. From salads to decadent desserts, smoothies to appetizers, this succulent fruit is so versatile as an ingredient that it almost enhances the entire dish.
I thoroughly enjoy having mangoes especially raw mangoes and langra (a variety of mango). It’s completely refreshing. I remember my school days when my mom used to give me kairi ka paani (aam panna) to quench my thirst amidst the sweltering Kolkata summers. Every meal had mango in one form of the other, be it aamras (mango pulp), chopped mangoes, mango cheesecake, sun-dried mango rolls, mango mousse or my favorite raw mango curry (kairi ki lunjee).
Raw mango curry is indeed a very simple recipe and you can store this curry for a week and serve it as an accompaniment. The aroma of the Indian spices and the sweet and sour taste makes me salivate and yearn for more. Have it hot, warm or cold cause its soothing and comforting!
INGREDIENTS: (For 4 people)
- 3 medium sized raw mangoes, peeled and chopped into big cubes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp kalonji (Nigella sativa seeds)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil/olive oil
- 3/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- salt, to taste
- cilantro leaves, for garnishing
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Once heated, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and kalonji and wait till it pops.
- Now add the chopped raw mango pieces and salt and sauté it for a couple of minutes.
- Add turmeric powder and sauté it for one minute. Add water and cover the saucepan to allow the mango to cook.
- Once the mangoes are half cooked, add red chili powder and coriander powder and mix it well. Add water (if required) to make gravy for the curry and cover the saucepan to allow the mangoes to cook completely.
- Once the mangoes are tender and almost cooked add sugar and stir it. Garnish it with cilantro leaves and serve.
- You can also allow it to cool completely and serve once cooled with parathas.