Summer is here and its time to celebrate it with great food and great company. These wraps are a perfect way to get a break from the scorching heat and the enjoy the fresh produce available in the grocery stores. Its encompasses all what you expect from a great dish – its crunchy, its fresh, its healthy and its packed with great flavors.
I was introduced to this delicious appetizer by my sister (in-law) and since then its been on my list of top dishes. I keep trying different versions of this wraps, but keep going back to this recipe. People and as a matter of fact even I thought it is difficult to make, but once I tried my hands on it, its been an easy cooking experience. So when you feel like experimenting with ingredients and flavors, do try this recipe. Its a exotic and healthy alternative to the usual spring rolls served in a party. These wraps are a complete winner!
INGREDIENTS: (For 4 people)
- 12 pieces Rice paper wrappers (available in the market or online)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, julienne
- 1 medium red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienne
- 1 medium cucumber, julienne
- 1/2 cup boiled rice noodles or vermicelli
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup snow peas, stringed and julienne (optional)
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp lime juice (use this if you don’t use wine wine vinegar)
- salt, to taste
- freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- hot water, to soak the wrappers
- sweet chili sauce, to serve with (available in the market or online)
- peanut sauce, to serve with (available in the market or online)
- In a bowl mix carrots, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, cucumber, bean sprout, snow peas, coriander leaves, mint leaves, soy sauce, salt, black pepper, rice wine vinegar or lime juice and keep aside.
- In another bowl mix rice noodles with salt, black pepper, a dash of rice wine vinegar and soy sauce and keep aside.
- Take a large flat bowl with hot water. Dip the rice paper sheet into it and let it soak for 10 seconds. Lift it out and place it on a damp cloth.
- Place the vegetable mixture on the wrapper and then place the noodles beside it. Roll up the wrapper tightly and fold the sides.
- You may or may not cut it into half and serve immediately with sweet chili sauce and peanut sauce.
Note: You can add onions, mushrooms, avocados, lettuce to create different versions of these wraps. Keep experimenting, keep cooking!