A perfect start to my mornings be it winters, summers or monsoon are these mini apple muffins with a dash of aromatic spices. Perfectly going with my cup of morning cup of tea are these lovely little bites that has made me fall in love with apples all over again!
As a kid I loathed apples and remember my mother trying to feed me apples religiously. From overloading fruit custards with apples to making apple crumbles, she tried hard to instil my loves for apples in any way possible. It was only recently when I had a slice of an apple pie after which I started enjoying apples. I wanted to try my hands in making muffins so that I could serve them for family breakfast or brunches rather than serving Indian traditional sweets. One of my favourite breakfast table dish on which I can gorge on guilt free because it’s actually super healthy.
INGREDIENTS: (For 12 mini muffins)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp star anise powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (if the apples are sweet enough you can reduce the sugar by 1 tbsp)
- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder, for garnishing (optional)
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar, for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C for atleast 20 minutes before baking. Meanwhile oil the muffin tray or place the muffin liners.
- In a bowl combine whole wheat flour, baking soda, star anise powder, cinnamon powder and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl combine apples and 1 tbsp powdered sugar and keep aside for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Combine lukewarm water, vinegar, oil and vanilla extract in a bowl and mix well.
- Now combine the dry and the wet ingredients and then add the apple mixture . Combine well.
- Pour the batter in the muffin liners and sprinkle cinnamon powder and powdered sugar mixture before baking the muffins for 20 – 25 minutes at 180 C.
- Once baked, demould it and have it warm and enjoy your morning breakfast!