Vermicelli Upma is a south Indian breakfast dish which is super healthy and can be prepared in no time. It’s my family’s favorite breakfast option since its wholesome, flavorful and vibrant. Kids love it because it resembles noodles and adults love it since it is yummy. My mom used to pack it for my tiffin since I loved the flavors she infused in it.
I load it seasonal vegetables for a hearty meal and then eat it for dinner too. The crispness of the vegetables and the silky texture of the boiled vermicelli is a perfect combination. When I have guests over for breakfast/brunch, I try to alter the flavors and spices depending on what they enjoy more. So when you enter your kitchen to make this simple dish, believe me you cannot go wrong since you understand the flavors of your family more than anyone else. So try it and enjoy the beautiful winter mornings with your family.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes for 3 – 4 people)
- 1 1/5 cups of vermicelli
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated (or chopped into small cubes)
- 1 1/4 cup of beans, finely chopped and boiled (optional)
- 1/2 capsicum, finely chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup of onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup of boiled green peas
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 green chilis, split from the middle
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 – 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp split black lentils (urad dal)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- coriander leaves, for garnishing
- salt, to taste
- In a saucepan, bring water a rolling boil. Add vermicelli and let it boil for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Take the vermicelli off the heat and drain it. Wash it with cold water.
- In another heated pan add oil. Add mustard seeds and allow it to pop.
- Once it pops, add curry leaves, split green chili and split black lentils and sauté for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Add onion and sauté it until its translucent. Then add carrots and capsicum and sauté it too, until its half done.
- Add boiled beans, green peas and sauté it.Add salt and roasted peanuts and toss everything well.
- Add red chili powder and then put in the boiled vermicelli and mix everything well.
- Put lemon juice and mix it. Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
You can make this with just onion and peas. Its all about what you love.
Have an great breakfast with family!