Recently I questioned myself that what is a perfect salad? My answer was something which is healthy, nutritious but definitely not banal. Its since then I wanted to make tabbouleh – a middle eastern fresh salad. Heaped with fresh herbs, the crispness from the vegetables and the hint of spices, this salad satisfies my craving for a divine and healthy gastronomic experience.
Tabbouleh is packed with everything that is a prerequisite to a wholesome meal. I not only make it as a part of the mezze platter but days when I want to detoxify myself after a series of festivities, this is what I resort too. It’s fills your tummy coz of the bulgur wheat and makes is healthy because of the fresh vegetables. All you need to do is to treat the ingredients with utmost care. I love using the freshest of the fresh parsley available in the market. Try and incorporate ripe and juicy tomatoes in the salad. You can also incorporate a wide array of fresh vegetables to make it more appetizing.
The ingredients may be simple but the result is truly mouth watering!
INGREDIENTS: (Makes around 3 cups)
- 75 gms bulgur wheat
- 3 cups fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 red tomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tbsp roasted pine nuts
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 medium sized lemons
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp sumac powder
- 1 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsp dried mint leaves
- Black olives, for garnishing (optional)
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnishing (optional)
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and add bulgur wheat and add dried mint leaves. Stir it well.
- Cover and leave for 15 – 20 minutes until tender. Then cool the mixture.
- Once the bulgur mixture is cooled, add tomatoes, onions, parsley, fresh mint leaves, roasted pine nuts, cucumber, EVOO, cinnamon powder, sumac powder, lemon juice and black pepper. Toss it well.
- Cool it in the fridge for atleast an hour or two.
- Before serving add salt, powdered sugar and toss it well. Garnish with torn lettuce leaves and olives and pomegranate seeds.
- You can also choose to serve with lettuce leaves rather than adding torn lettuce leaves.
- Serve it chill!
Enjoy the freshness!