A classic Indian appetizer – Dahi ke Kebab reflects the perfect blend of spices with fresh ingredients. The aromatic Indian spices with the freshness from hung curd and cilantro is sure to kindle your senses. This is one of my favorite kebabs since I love curd.
I fondly remember eating Dahi ke kebab in Indian restaurants in my hometown. It was a must order appetizer since I enjoyed the texture and the flavor. Getting to eat this was indeed a luxury. I often thought of making it but was intimidated by the mammoth number of ingredients it would require and the long hours the preparations would demand. However this was all a figment of my imagination, quite different from what the reality is. Believe me Dahi ke Kebab is easy, quick and super healthy, and so you can’t say no to this recipe. Make it for your family for dinner or your friends during snack time, this dish will surely be the star of the party.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 6 – 8 pieces)
- 200 gms hung curd
- 100 gms cottage cheese, grated (grated chena)
- 4tbsp roasted gram flour
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp cinammon powder
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- salt to taste
- all purpose flour, for coating (optional)
- oil, for frying
For the filling:
- 8 cashew nutes, finely chopped
- 8 almonds, finely chopped
- 6 pistachios, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- salt to taste
- Mix hung curd, grated cottage cheese, roasted gram flour, chilli powder, cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder, chaat masala and salt in a bowl. Combine until all the spices and gram flour is properly combined.
- Make medium sized balls out of the paste and keep aside. The paste will be a little sticky so if you wish wear a glove while making the balls.
- In another bowl combine almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, coriander leaves, green chili, ginger and salt until and mix well.
- Take a tablespoon of the hung curd mixture and put it in the filling mixture bowl and combine well.
- Now take a bit of the filing and place it in center of the ball and make flat discs out of it (like a burger patty). Make sure that the filling is not coming out.
- Dab the patty/kebab with all purpose flour. Put some oil on the pan and once its a little warm we will shallow fry the kebabs until golden brown. We need to flip the kebab to the other side and make sure it’s properly cooked. (I often use non stick pan which requires very little oil to make the kebabs golden brown.)
- Serve it hot with green chutney or mint chutney. Enjoy!