A little pod of vanilla is so precious, spreading it sweet smell everywhere. Infuse it in you cold coffee or make your vanilla flavored chai latte, bake a vanilla cake or simply make vanilla cookies, this spice will invigorate your taste buds. One of the most popular uses of vanilla is in making of vanilla pastry cream which is often used in tart fillings or pastry fillings.
I love to gorge on this pastry cream so much that I often make more than the desired quantity for my desserts. The richness and the aroma is so beautiful that it makes you want to have more. I often mix fresh seasonal fruits with the pastry cream or more commonly use it as a tartlet filling. Try this simple recipe which is the building block of all the beautiful french desserts. As the season of berries is approaching, you can create some wonderful desserts with vanilla pastry cream for this festive season.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes about 1.5 cups)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 325 ml whole milk
- 50 gms white granulated sugar
- 15 gms all purpose flour
- 25 gms cornstarch
- 1/2 vanilla bean (split length wise) or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 3/4 tbsp Grand Marnier (optional)
- In a heat proof bowl, mix the egg yolks and sugar together. Add in the flour and cornstarch in it too.
- Mix well until it forms a smooth paste without any lumps.
- In a saucepan heat the milk on medium flame. Put in the vanilla bean in the milk too and keep it on flame until milk starts to boil.
- Once the milk has come to a boil, remove the pod. Add in the egg mixture and keep whisking it continuously to avoid lump formation and curdling.
- Scrap the vanilla seeds and add to the above mixture.
- If lumps are formed then pass the mixture through a sieve.
- Take this entire mixture and put it over a medium flame until it starts boiling. Make sure to whisk it continuously.
- Once it comes to a boil, remove it from the flame and add the liqueur. If you choose to use vanilla essence, this is the correct time to stir in the essence.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and cover it with cling film. Make sure to cover the surface of the pastry cream to avoid any skin formation.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature before using it or refrigerate upto 4 days.
Enjoy this beautiful yummy custard!