I was always fascinated by the aroma and the taste of freshly baked breads. However, I felt scared in using dry/active yeast especially because I didn’t know the technique well. Today for the first time I tried using yeast and making a bread roll out of the dough. The process was quite simple and the results were fantastic. All that was required was love, patience and a few ingredients from your kitchen pantry.
These rolls are definitely for all the garlic lovers out there. It fills the air with a beautiful fragrance of garlic and the fresh herbs. The perfect blend of garlic with herbs and butter makes you crave for more. Try it with your daily cuppa or serve it with a bowl of soup, these rolls will surely be a hit! Be it a tiffin snack for your kids or a tea time snack for your guests, this easy and fresh bread roll is here for everyone. A soft, fluffy texture within and a crispy outside texture and look, this garlic roll is my next favorite tea time snack.
So don’t get intimidated, switch on your baking skills and bake some for your friends and family now.
INGREDIENTS: (Makes around 10 – 12 pieces)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 140 ml water
- 1/2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15 – 20 garlic cloves, crushed or finely minced
- 1 small bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Warm water and add dry active yeast in it. Allow it to sit for 12 – 14 minutes at room temperature.
- In a bowl add whole wheat flour. all purpose flour, powdered sugar and salt and keep aside.
- Once the yeast has started to bubble up and become frothy, add the dry ingredient mix to the yeast solution.
- Add vegetable oil and knead to form a smooth and soft dough. (Add very little warm water if kneading is a problem.)
- Leave the dough covered for 1.5 hours until leavened.
- Meanwhile, create the garlic paste. To do so take the finely minced or crushed garlic in a bowl. Add butter, chilli flakes, oregano, salt, black pepper and a dash of olive oil. Mix it well.
- Once the dough has risen, give it a punch and knead it well for a minute.
- Dust the work surface with some flour. Take half the dough and roll it out to a form a circle.
- Put the garlic mix generously on the rolled out dough.
- Roll the dough to form a cylinder and then cut the it into 1.5 – 2 inch small cylinders.
- Grease the pan in which the bread will bake. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Put the rolls onto the baking sheet and wash it with olive oil and the garlic mix.
- Bake it for 30 – 40 minutes at 180 C until golden brown.
- Serve it warm with your choice of dip.